June 12, 2019
Biscuits and gravy is the ultimate in Southern comfort food! It’s so rich and creamy and stick to your ribs good!
This is Jason’s traditional Fathers Day breakfast! It has always been his favorite breakfast meal since childhood. His grandfather introduced him to the biscuits & gravy goodness and he has been hooked ever since! It was about 15 years ago when he asked if I could make him biscuits and gravy for Fathers Day. I had never made it before but of course I was going to give it a shot. To my surprise it only requires a few ingredients and is extremely easy to make! I do cheat and use Pillsbury frozen buttermilk biscuits but they taste like homemade! Jason always tells me I should open my own biscuits and gravy restaurant with this recipe, it’s that delicious!
1 pkg Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits (frozen)
1 lb roll Jimmy Dean Sausage
4 Tbs butter
4 Tbs flour 1 tsp salt 1 tsp pepper
1. Pre heat oven to 375 and lay your frozen biscuits on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 21-25 min.
2. Over medium heat, in a large saucepan cook sausage until brown. (Helpful Tip) I use a potato masher to help break it up so it cooks evenly.
3. Scoop out cooked sausage and set aside in a bowl. Leave renderings in the pan.
4. Melt the 4 Tbs of butter in the pan.
5. Add the 4 Tbs of flour. Cook for 1 min. Keep stirring with a rubber spatula to prevent burning.
6. Slowly add the milk a little at a time, and keep stirring with a whisk. Make sure you scrape the sides and keep an eye on the thickening so you don’t burn your gravy. If too thick, you may add a little milk to loosen.
7. Once desired thickness, add cooked sausage into the gravy. Add salt a little at a time. ( I always taste while adding salt to make sure I don’t over salt) Then add black pepper to taste.
8. Remove biscuits from oven. Split biscuits in half and spoon thick sausage gravy over the two halves of the biscuit.