April 16, 2019
The most important part and first step in the building process is locating the perfect homesite. You know the adage, location location location, is so very true. You should never compromise or settle for where you build your future dream home!
Four years ago Jason and I were driving down one of our favorite streets and saw a for sale sign along a private driveway. We turned back around and felt the urge to check it out! What we discovered was 5.5 acres of neglect. There was an old frame home on the property with a white paper taped to the window! We immediately called our realtor and he said it is under foreclosure and we will need to place a bid! Even though the property was a wreck with trash and overgrown weeds, we both could see the hidden potential. The weeds completely covered an artisan pond which was such a great discovery! Needless to say we won the bid by $2,000 and our future homesite was purchased! We got right to work clearing the the weeds and cleaning the debris left behind. A year and a half later we removed the old frame home piece by piece. Most of the home was donated. Even the trusses were repurposed at our other property and used for a pole barn. Donating as many items as possible from the home removal saved us big money because you are charged by the weight of what you fill in the dumpster. In those fours years we prepped the land for our future farmhouse. We disconnected power, connected to county water, dug a new pond, added irrigation and built a dock house! We added tremendous value to the property with a lot of hard work and creativity!
Our Top 5 Tips To Obtaining Your Dream Homesite!
1. Location (Drive down your favorite areas looking for “for sale” signs)
2. Include in your search property with a tear down home. (The impact fees have been paid and power and water will be established.)
3. Include foreclosures in your search.
4. Be prepared financially! Things happen quick! We placed our bid and won 6 days later!
5. Spread the word you are searching for property! Contact a realtor and inform family and friends! We bought another property because Jason asked around!